Monday, January 16, 2012

Tutorial: Bowties are Cool Mug


Fans of Doctor Who will appreciate the reference. My husband, who I made this for, loves BOTH Doctor Who AND Bow Ties (sigh.) You have to understand, he's from the South where they are a perfectly acceptable article of clothing. Being a Midwesterner myself, I have never understood his obsession with them, but hey, I am nothing if not (begrudgingly) supportive! To make up for all my snarky comments about his favorite Sunday accessory, for his birthday I made him this mug (since I have converted him to coffee). It's pretty much the easiest tutorial in the world:

You will need:
-A ceramic Mug (I got mine from TJMax)
-A Porcelain Pen (don't be scared, they're a few bucks at Michaels)
-A Working Oven

That's it! I free-hand drew the design on mine, but if you want/need a stencil you could make that work as well, Michaels has a bunch. I liked the idea that my husband could tell it was my handwriting, made especially for him, etc. All you do is follow the directions on the Porcelain Pen (make sure you get one for ceramics and not glass, btw, they're different!). Mine said to draw my design (if you mess up before you bake it you can just use a wet cloth to wipe it off and start over) and then bake in the oven at 300 degrees F for 35 minutes. I set it on a cookie sheet to more easily retrieve it from the hot oven, but you don't have to. After doing that, the mug is dishwasher safe and the design won't come off! My mug was a big hit and will be a silly and fun family keepsake for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment